This delightful recipe for home made traditional Croatian biscuits filled with a thick and luscious plum spread reminds me of my childhood. I have adjusted the recipe slightly and used icing sugar for dusting rather than granulated sugar. Icing sugar gives these biscuits a lift when serving.
250 grams Unsalted Butter (softened)
500 grams Plain Flour (sifted approximately 3 cups)
1 egg (beaten)
1/2 cup Yoghurt (full fat)
1/4 cup Caster Sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/4 teaspoon Lemon Rind
Extra Flour for Dusting
Icing sugar for Dusting
Plum Jam (Plum Spread)
Preparation Time: 15 minutes to make the pastry + 15 minutes rolling the pastry out + (1 hour for the pastry to rest in the fridge)
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Makes: 40 Biscuits (approximately)
- Preheat the oven at 180° for at least 15 minutes.
- To make the pastry, cut the butter into small pieces, sieve the flour add the baking powder and combine with the butter.
- Add the egg, caster sugar, vanilla essence, lemon rind and yoghurt.
- Blend quickly and lightly, ensure you are thorough with your fingertips.
- Place the ball of dough on a floured surface and with the heel of the hand gradually push the dough away from you in a series of short, rather jerky movements.
- Gather the pastry into a ball and repeat the whole flattening and gathering process once again.
- Roll the ball and cover in cling wrap and allow to cool in the refrigerator for a minimum of 1 hour.
- Roll out the pastry thinly and cut into triangles (ensure that they similar in size (8cm) .
- Place a small dollop of jam onto the wide end of the triangle and roll the pastry (resembling a mini croissant) and shape into a crescent.
- Press along the edges of the crescent to ensure that the jam will not ooze out during baking.
- Place on a baking tray lined with paper. Place the baking tray in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Check that the biscuits are light and even in colour.
- You may need to turn the tray around to assist with this process.
- Once they have finished baking allow to cool down and dust with icing sugar.
- The biscuits can be stored in an airtight container.
- If you have some of the jam oozing out of the biscuits it will be fine. They will still taste great.