Pizza and bread making have been lots of fun during this unusual time in our lives. For many of us experiencing lock downs, wearing masks and not being able to see and spend time with our loved ones can be a very difficult and trying time. I feel grateful and happy that we are living in a time where we can have face time with our family and friends. We can share a cocktail, trivia night or an on line dinner party on zoom where we enjoy seeing each other’s meals. Most importantly we see each other’s faces. We chat, laugh and talk about shows or movies that we have watched or planning to watch.
How have you been spending your time during the lock down in Melbourne or dealing with this surreal time in your part of the world?
Cooking has always been a favourite pass time for me and a continuation of my wellness journey.
Ingredients – Overnight Pizza Dough
750 g plain flour
10 g fine salt
6 g Instant yeast
2 1/4 cups water + 1 tbsp extra (at room temperature)
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil + 2 1/2 tbsp extra
extra flour (when shaping the pizzas)
Sautéed mushrooms with thyme and onion
Spicy salami with bocconcini, roasted peppers and sliced onion
Roasted peppers, bocconcini and sliced onion
Sauté 1/2 small onion finally chopped
Add 1 tbsp tomato paste and cook for a few minutes
Add 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup water
Season with salt and pepper
You can also add a small quantity of herbs parsley, thyme, oregano
Manzanillo olives, rosemary and sliced onion
Preparation time: 15 minutes (Approximately) + 10 hours of refrigeration (or up to 24 hours) + 2-3 hours at room temperature
Cooking Time: 5 minutes (Approximately in wood fired oven) 20 – 30 minutes (approximately in normal oven at 220ºC)
Makes: 3 pizzas + 1 focaccia
Tray size 33.7 cm x 23.5 cm (rustic shape for 3 x pizzas and 1 x focaccia)
Proving this dough is worth the effort. You will have a dough that is superior in texture and deep in flavour.
- Combine flour, salt and yeast in a bowl (stand mixer/kitchen aid) fitted with a paddle attachment and mix for 1 minute.
- Add the water and oil and mix for a few minutes on the lowest setting to incorporate all the ingredients.
- Remove the paddle attachment, scraping any dough sticking to the paddle. Scrape the sides of the bowl with a plastic scraper.
- Fit the mixer with the dough hook and mix on low speed for 10 minutes.
- Lightly oil or spray a large deep ceramic or glass bowl.
- Using a bowl scraper, transfer the dough to the prepared bowl.
- The dough will be sticky and loose.
- Cover the bowl with lightly oiled or sprayed piece of plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for at least 10 hours, or up to 24 hours.
- Take the dough out of the fridge 2-3 hours and allow to stand and prove at room temperature before shaping the pizzas/focaccia.
- We cook our pizzas in a wood fired pizza oven at 400ºC. It’s very quick.
- For the focaccia we let the temperature reduce and then bake. Keeping an eye on both the pizza and the focaccia.
- You can use your oven in the kitchen. Warm the oven up to at least 220ºC.
- Cook both pizza and focaccia at that temperature. Keeping an eye and checking to make sure they don’t darken and burn.
- We always place the bocconcini on the pizza towards the end of the cooking. The cheese will melt perfectly.
Keep well, stay safe and healthy.
Now I am hungry!
Thank you for stopping by Stephen. Keep well and stay healthy. 🙂
My mouth is just watering reading this post, Milanka. My hubby makes his own pizza, inclusive of dough and we are having it this weekend. My stomach just actually rumbled. It is such a treat!! I’m sure yours is too!! xo
Lovely to hear that your hubby loves to cook. Enjoy your pizza weekend. For my hubby and I, it will be bread making and a few other dishes. Keep well and enjoy being out in nature. 🙂
Your pizza’s are looking very inviting, Milanka 😀
I do make pizza sometimes and it is nice to get new inspiration. Thank you for sharing.
Lovely to hear from you Irene, enjoy your white Christmas in Germany. I also haven’t posted much this year. However, despite that it’s been an educational year. Keep well and stay healthy. Wishing you and your loved ones a Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy and Safe New Year. 🎄✨🙌💜
Thank you Milanka. Yes, I have also been learning much this year.
Wish you and your family a Merry Christmas too, my dear friend <3