A freshly baked American style muffin is always a welcome treat, super quick and easy. As mentioned in my previous post, muffins are easy to prepare with an endless selection of ingredients. They can be savoury or sweet. This sweet Blueberry recipe is a favourite with my family, especially my grandson who loves Blueberries.
280 g plain flour (sifted)
1 tbsp baking powder (sifted)
1/2 cup of soft light brown sugar
200 g frozen Blueberries (or fresh Blueberries)
1 tsp vanilla extract
finely grated rind of 1 lemon
2 eggs (beaten)
250 ml milk
4 tbsp sunflower oil (or vegetable)
Extra soft light brown sugar mixed with ground all spice or (ground cinnamon, mixed spice or clove)
muffin cases or cups (6 or 12)
Melted butter to grease the muffin tin if not using cases or cups
Preparation time: 15 minutes (Approximately)
Cooking Time: 15-20 minutes (Approximately)
Makes: 12 Medium Muffins (12 Cup) or 6 Large Muffins (6 Cup)
Preheat the oven to 200ºC for approximately 15 minutes. Grease or line the tin with cases or cups.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, stir in the sugar and Blueberries.
- Lightly beat the eggs, in a large jug or bowl then beat in the milk, oil, vanilla extract and lemon rind.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the beaten liquid ingredients.
- Stir gently until just combined; do not over-mix.
- Spoon the mixture in the prepared muffin tin.
- Sprinkle the sugar and all spice mixture on top of the prepared muffins.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 to 20 minutes until well risen, golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and allow the muffins to sit for 5 minutes then serve warm or at room temperature.
- You can use melted butter instead of sunflower/vegetable oil.
- I make my own cases using baking paper (I have found a compostable one that is available at my supermarket).
- It can be a little fiddly cutting the paper, folding, then placing in the tin. A little oil or melted butter is helpful to hold the cases in place.
- I usually do this beforehand and have the cases ready to go.
- For the sugar mixture you can use raw sugar, white sugar and then add your favourite spices, mix well to combine before topping the prepared muffin mixture.
- Don’t over-bake the muffins as they will become dry.
- The possibilities with muffins are endless. Don’t be shy in experimenting with an array of fruit, spices and combinations.