If you enjoy eating mushrooms as much as I do, you will fall in love with this easy recipe for a creamy mushroom pâté . Quick to make and the only time consuming part is the refrigeration. The pâté is mouthwatering, delicious and can be served as a starter or appetiser when friends call in. Or you can enjoy it all by yourself (only if you don’t want to share). The pâté is creamy, luscious and boasts the earthy aromas and flavours that mushrooms offer.
400 grams Swiss Brown mushrooms (sliced)
100 grams Shitake mushrooms (sliced)
300 grams Mini King Oyster mushrooms (sliced in half)
4 cloves garlic (crushed)
1/2 cup thickened cream
80 grams butter
2 teaspoons fresh thyme (leaves only)
1/2 cup dry white wine
salt and freshly ground black pepper
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (a little)
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes + cooling and refrigeration time
Serves: 4-6 people (as a starter)
- In a large frying pan melt the butter over a medium heat, add the garlic, olive oil and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the mushrooms, half the thyme and sauté for 10 minutes, pour in the white wine and cook for another 5 minutes or until evaporated.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Once cooled, transfer the mushroom mixture to a food processor add the cream, remaining thyme, salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Blend for 2-3 minutes, or until finely chopped.
- Spoon the pâté into a bowl and refrigerate covered for at least 3 hours or until chilled.
- You may choose other varieties of mushrooms for this recipe, especially if you have a favourite.
- Dried wild forest mushrooms can also be used.
- Soak them in a bowl with 250 ml of hot water for at least 1 hour, or until soft.
- Drain the soaking liquid and discard any pieces of the mushroom that are tough and woody after they have been soaked.
- For serving suggestions, I will be toasting some bread, then I will cut them into bite size pieces for the pâté to be spread. Alternatively, crisp light wafer crackers would also be ideal.