When in season I can never go past corn. It is that time of the year and I am in heaven. It reminds me of my childhood back in Croatia. Where I lived the fields were abundant during the late summer. Corn was enjoyed in many different ways. Today I am sharing my version of a delightful light vegetarian dish using corn and zucchini. Corn and zucchini are a great combination and make gorgeous fritters. They can be enjoyed for breakfast, an accompaniment to meat dishes or just as they are for a light lunch or snack.
3 Zucchini (800 grams washed & grated)
4 Corn on the cob (cooked, cooled & cut into kernels)
2 tablespoons fresh Parsley (chopped)
3 teaspoons fresh Thyme (leaves only)
3 teaspoons fresh Marjoram (leaves only)
2 teaspoons fresh Dill (chopped)
2 spring onions (finely sliced)
1/2 cup plain flour
1/4 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
4 eggs (lightly beaten)
Olive oil for shallow frying
Salt & freshly ground pepper
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Makes: 28 fritters (approximately)
- Grate the zucchini in a bowl, add salt and allow to stand for 15-20 minutes.
- Cut the corn cobs in half and place in a pot, cover with enough water and place on the stove over medium to high heat.
- Once it comes to a boil reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, drain the water and allow to cool for 15 minutes to enable handling.
- Cut all the corn into kernels and place in another larger bowl.
- Add the parsley, thyme, marjoram, dill, spring onions and set aside.
- Squeeze out as much liquid as possible from the zucchini with your hands or in a clean tea towel.
- Combine the zucchini with the corn, parsley, thyme, marjoram, dill and spring onions.
- Add the flour, grated parmesan, eggs, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Add a little olive oil to a pan over medium heat and using a dessert spoon, form the fritters (heaped dessert spoon). Cook the fritters in batches for 2-3 minutes each side, or until golden and firm. Drain on paper towels.
- The corn cobs can be pre-cooked and stored in the fridge overnight.
- To save cooking time, you can have two pans going at the same time.
- As a serving suggestion, some sliced avocado, with yoghurt, dill and mustard dressing makes a great accompaniment with the fritters.