Food lovers of Pancakes with walnuts (Palačinke sa orasima) are easy, fun to make and are enjoyed by all ages. Pancakes can be savoury, sweet, made into wonderful desserts, served for breakfast as well as during the day or evening. They become mouthwatering and totally delicious when topped with fresh fruit, drizzled with maple syrup, a berry coulis, cream and ice cream. Who can say no to a sweet dish that is luscious and a delight to eat.
This recipe that I am sharing is in honour of my mother. Sadly she is no longer with us however, pancakes with walnuts (palačinke sa orasima) are enjoyed and loved in our family. A traditional Croatian and Balkan recipe which will always be cherished and lovingly prepared in our family.
Making your own pancakes can be fun for the young and the young at heart. For all the pancake lovers out there, I hope that you embrace this recipe and that it evokes fond childhood memories from my homeland Croatia.
1 1/2 cups of Plain Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 litre milk (full cream)
30 grams butter (melted)
Oil for frying (Sunflower, Vegetable or Canola)
3 cups of Walnuts (ground)
1/2 cup Caster Sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
1/3 cup Plum Brandy (Rakija, Šljivovica, also known as plum spirit)
1/2 teaspoon Lemon Rind
1/2 cup milk
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 30-40 minutes
Makes: 14 Pancakes (approximately)
- In a large bowl place the flour, baking powder, melted butter and milk. Mix all the ingredients well with a wooden spoon or whisk. Ensure that you smooth out all the lumps and you are left with a smooth mixture. Allow to stand for fifteen to twenty minutes and you are ready to cook the pancakes.
- Brush a little oil on your frying pan and place it on the stove over medium heat. When the pan is hot enough place half a ladle full of the mixture into the pan. Spread the mixture around the pan evenly and ensure that the pancakes are on the thinner side. Brown on one side and then flip over and brown the other side. Once you have finished cooking all the pancakes allow to cool for fifteen to twenty minutes and spread with the Walnut Paste. Arrange on a plate and serve.
- To make the Walnut Paste, combine in a bowl ground Walnuts, sugar, vanilla essence, lemon rind, milk and plum brandy (Rakija). Mix these ingredients well and if you find that the paste is too firm add a little more milk. This will make it smoother and easier to spread. Allow to stand for thirty minutes for all the flavours to infuse before spreading.
- To make this mixture I used a large jug. After placing all the ingredients in the jug, mix well with a wooden spoon making sure that you combine all the flour around the edges into the liquid mixture. Once combined well, I used a Bamix and blitzed to smooth out all the lumps. When you have a smooth mixture allow to stand for fifteen to twenty minutes.
- I used a non stick pan to make the pancakes however, I also added a little oil and rubbed it around the pan with a paper towel. Then placed it on the stove over medium heat. If you find it’s difficult to flip the pancakes use an egg lifter to assist in flipping the pancakes over.
- The Plum Brandy (Rakija plum spirit) that I used in this recipe is Maraska brand made in Zadar. There are other brands and they will all work just as well.